Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Distressing Stress!

Here is my armoire that I have finished. You may remember it from here. I finally took it by the horn and sanded the hell out of it.I have to say, I was so scared to do this in fear I would ruin it! But everyone told me, you can just re-paint it. So, with that in my mind I went crazy....

I sanded where I thought made the most sense with aging furniture from hands etc....
Then I went and bought an Antique Staining Medium and some Raw Umber Acrylic Paint both Americana brand.
I used a rag and rubbed them on after mixing the two together. It seemed to deepen the color of the paint and adds alot of depth.

I then went to Lee Valley in Toronto and picked some new hardware and like the look it adds!

I would have to say I'm happy with the results. Even my hubby is impressed!
Anyways, I would say to anyone wanting to paint a piece of furniture, to GO FOR IT!!! You'll probably love it.

What do you think? Would you consider painting wood and distressing it? Thanks to my friends who had lots of advice for me. I first started considering painting this piece when I seen it done on The Nesters blog! Loved what she did with hers. Maybe I'll inspire you!!!

Below, are some other shots of the armoire


The color changes throughout the day.....green,blue-greyish

Glad it's done....now onto the walls, can't wait to get that color changed. Thinking of China Moon by Lowes, Seaside Retreat color line. If you have any great colors that look sweet with White trim, let me know....

Cindy

13 comments:

  1. It looks great Cindy!!
    You're such a brave girl.. :)
    Fabulous look to it..you did good!!!

    Deboirah xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. The armoire turned out great! Way to DIY!!!
    Thanks for sharing and happy holidays!
    Xo,
    E&J

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great! I love the distressing, it added so much character!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Cynthia.

    Your armoire is gorgeous. I love the finish and the hardware you chose is perfect. You should be very proud! :) By the way, I will always paint over wood if the circumstances call for it.

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did such a fabulous job...I am a fan of gray. The armoire in my daughter's room is VERY similar and is also gray.

    Have a great weekend.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fab makeover! Your armoire looks beautiful with the distressing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job, I am a huge fan of distressing, it covers up my bad paint jobs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohh love how this came out! I remember the before- this came out gorgeous!! The finish and hardware are perfect- thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday- Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't stress - it looks great. Coming over from Between Naps on the Porch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice job! It's always scary to start beating on a piece of furniture!
    Dropping by from How To's Day. Hope you'll come see DD2's picture wall we did for her.

    Allison
    Atticmag

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful ---- just beautiful! :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  12. ohh I think it looks fabulous. Painting furniture gives it a whole new life. I am your newest follower. Hope you can pop on by and visit my blog.
    Au revoir
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, your comments make me smile!

Related Posts with Thumbnails